Saturday, February 5, 2011





One Extreme to Another

There was no way I could miss an opportunity to fly while we're here, so we got up early yesterday to jump into a helicopter headed for the Franz Josef Glacier. Being the first flight of the morning, and being ready early, bought us the chance to get out and walk around on top. Yes, I know I came down here to get away from ice and snow, but oh my. Just five of us went, Yuri, Alexander, Leonid, David and I. How fitting that the only ones to head for the snow were the Maineiacs and the Russians.

Later in the day, we stopped at a national park with hiking trails through the bush, or rain forest, or dense greenery, whatever. Around a corner we came out by a calm reflecting pool, magical in its perfect stillness and beauty. It's a place that will remain in my heart for the rest of my life.


The day wound around rivers and lakes, up and down hills, with a few serious technical bits but mostly just a whole lot of fun and beauty. In Maine, David likes to sigh dramatically, "around every corner..." when we come upon slow drivers. We both tend to have a lead foot there. But here, around every corner is an eyeful of extreme beauty the likes of which defy reality.


For the first time this trip, however, I had to get off the bike in the afternoon. Actually, our guides suggested it, knowing about my irrational terror of heights. So we loaded my beast and I climbed into the van with Chris. Oh. My. Gosh. Was that ever the right call. Switchbacks around knife-edge cliffsides in the wind and it even started to rain.... any one of which would put me into a serious stroke. Even in the van, I had to cover my eyes at times. But beautiful nonetheless. David said even he and John were going around at 5 to 10 kmh in some bits.


Arriving in Queenstown, we found the glowing emerald of Lake Wakatipu and our hotel by the shore.



Just two more days. I'm beginning to miss Rastro and Danny and the Rowdies, although not the snow of course. But it will be so hard to leave here. I'm thinking a return trip is in my future.

No comments: